Days to Keycon

Tuesday 21 June 2016

Fun Mountain and the history of the Peg

July 20, 2016 - 332 days to Keycon

I, of course, woke up late on my parents couch to the screams of Death Metal Rooster, my chosen alarm tone, issuing from my iPod.  It was nine o'clock and I had been up late watching music videos and drinking wine, Pepsi and whisky.  It was a regular Sunday evening visit at my parents and par for the course after the toddler had been put down for the night.

Groggily I pulled myself up and immediately had a two year old jumping on me with the delighted screams of "Daddy!".  I knew I had to pull it together because Jenn, Tracy and the kids were waiting for me at home for our planned outing to Fun Mountain.

I managed to get the kid packed and ready to go and down to the van in record time and was only twenty minutes late arriving home.

But to be perfectly honest I'm getting too old for these late nights.

The morning and afternoon went off without a hitch and I marveled at how much my little boy has grown. He was a true master of the slide. Everyone was exhausted by the end but a good time was had by all.

Fun Mountain is a Winnipeg staple for families and has been around for over 30 years. The 48 acre park includes water slides, bumper boats, zip lines and a miniature golf course. When I contacted the park they told me that "it opened in June 1983 and at that time there were many families together that contributed to it's development. There were 4 slides originally."


I remember going to slides with my school and friends many times in my youth but I never really thought about the history of the slides.


It's brought to mind that there's a lot of Winnipeg institutions that I've visited but don't know the history of. Like Keycon.


So I've decided I'm going to become a tourist in my own city. I'm going to learn the histories wherever I can and I'm going to report on them as much as I am able right here in this blog.


In the meantime I'm also going to be trying to learn the basics of travel writing and start some research. I'm also going to be looking for suggestions for places to visit.


Keep tuned true believers!


~Brother K'Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment