Days to Keycon

Tuesday 14 June 2016

Journalism and the Convention

June 14, 2016 - 339 days to Keycon

It's the second day of my first real vacation of 2016, a glorious 9 days off and what am I doing instead of working on my plans for Keycon 34? I'm sitting in a pair of rapidly deteriorating pajama pants and watching Enquiring Minds a documentary on Generoso Pope Junior, the owner and creator of the National Inquirer.

I've had an interest in journalism for a while now but I've never been able to figure out how to get into it without heading back to school.  At 41 years, going on 42, I'm worried it might be too late.

I've also been developing an interest in documentaries. It had occurred to me that a documentary on Keycon, while only of appeal to a small number of people, might be a good starting point.  After all it's one of the few places where I have almost complete access to many of the originators of the convention itself as well as many long time attendees.

It's something that I've looked forward to for most of the last twenty odd years and have met many friends and acquaintances through the con.  It's been a source of joy and fun for many years and, unfortunately, the source of some shameful behavior on my part.

But life has changed and in many ways so have I. There's history and a true love of the con and the city that hosts it. It has a storied history, one that I think needs to be told.

~Brother K'Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment