Days to Keycon

Wednesday 8 February 2017

Another weight loss post

February 07, 2017 - 101 days to Keycon

This blog was meant to be a day to day of one year in the life of a fan, a year getting ready to re-enter Winnipeg's fannish community, but is somehow turning into a weight loss blog.

I've been sick for the last couple of days. All of us have been sick really. We’ve had a cold/flu that’s gone from one to the other, I thick Riley, our eldist, is the only one that has been unaffected.

The illness has definitely helped, I was at 288.8 this morning which was a good feeling. It’s nice to see some results after a month of being good. While I haven’t completely cut out soda, I’ve reduced it to once or twice a week and not a whole bottle of it in one night either.

I’m also starting a new experiment today; I’m getting up fifteen minutes earlier. It’s not much but it allowed me to make breakfast, a thing I don’t often have time, or desire, for in the morning.

I made breakfast burrito’s. In this case they were egg, onion and ham with home made salsa. To drink is water with Mio, a non-sugar flavoring.

I would have made the tortilla’s to go with it, but I didn’t have the time. I think sometime this week I have to sand and re-season my cast iron frying pan to make some fresh flour tortillas.

For those interested, the salsa recipe is from www.food.com:

Chi-Chi’s Salsa Copy Recipe

2 green onions, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
1 dash Tabasco sauce
14 ounces stewed tomatoes

Directions

Cut up stewed tomatoes and combine in saucepan with onions, fresh tomato, salt and pepper.
Bring just to a boil.
Boil hard 1 min and remove from heat.
Put half of mixture through blender just to mince fine, but not to puree.
Return to remaining half of mixture.
Cool and refrigerate in tightly covered container.

I didn’t put in the tabasco sauce because I wanted the kids to try it. However, even without, the pepper adds a bit of bite so I’m expecting that they’ll probably say it’s too spicy.


I also screwed up and bought crushed tomato’s leaving me worried that I might have made spaghetti sauce instead of salsa.

I would recommend that you only pulse the mixture, I ran it through a couple of times and pureed the sauce, leaving me with a smoother texture than I would have liked.

It yields approximately two jars of sauce and, unfortunately, in the off season for tomato’s, costs about the same. However I’m reasonably confident that there are fewer preservatives in the mixture and overall it’s probably a bit healthier and more natural.

I’m going to experiment in the next couple of weeks with adding garlic and other ingredients to it to change up the flavors a bit and see if I can come up with a K’Bob Signature sauce.

Cause why the hell not.

To add a bit of a fannish notion to this blog, the idea for breakfast Taco’s came from none other that Robert Rodriguez in the behind the scenes portion of Sin City. Sin City Breakfast Taco’s.

Check the video below.


It's the most important meal of the day.

~Brother K'Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment